Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mitts mock-up and my little sewing corner

I started making the pattern for my mitts on Friday and sewed the mock-up yesterday and here's the result:



The thumb part ended up a bit too long but it was easy to fix. After making a couple of changes to the pattern, I began with the embroidery pattern today. However, it ended up too complicated so I need to make another one. It's not too complicated to make, really, but I want a more simple one for my first mitts. So I'm going to save the embroidery pattern for another pair that I plan to make in white some day.

The weekend was quite busy and I was happy to finally organize and clean my sewing corner that I have quite selfishly taken over in our bedroom. This is where I work at the moment:



While dreaming of my own sewing room, it's nice to have this little area for myself in our small apartment...


A new find from Saturday (above). It's really nice to have things divided into small boxes so I can easily find what I'm looking for while I'm working at the table. This isn't exactly what I was looking for but I thought I could paint and decorate it some day because I couldn't find a prettier one. I've been searching for something like this for ages so when I came across this one I simply had to get it.


Some of my history and costume books... Some borrowed, most of them my own.


A couple of stash boxes. I couldn't find space for them in the walk-in closet... And that's my old lap top on top of them, along with the black wool that I intend to use for the mitts.


I've got stash here and there, everywhere around the apartment...

4 comments:

  1. Looks very neat! my sewing room is currently in chaos... But I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I envy you for having a whole room for sewing! This corner used to be in chaos as well, but I'm glad it's cleaned up now! It really kept bugging me!

      Delete
  2. Very organized! You can be proud. :) I have to stay organized too as we live in an single room apartment, so that if my sewing is messy, our whole apartment is messy. The apartment is roomy (73 square meters), but with no separate rooms, I have to keep things under control or it will look very bad... :) But I have to say. I've had a separate sewing room before, but I never used it. I didn't like being there all alone. So I'm not complaining.

    The mock-up fits very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am proud now! ;) This corner used to be so messy I hated it! I could't stop thinking how messy it was and it bugged me so much that something had definitely be done to it! I had decided I should clean it up a long time ago but I was waiting until I found those boxes for threads etc. so that I could organize everything properly.

      We also live in a small apartment of about 42 square meters so it gets really cramped at times if you don't stay organized! Luckily I'm a tidy person so I'm happy to keep the place cleaned up. I also enjoy company when I'm doing hand-sewing or embroidery but sometimes it's nice to have another room to which I can lock myself in when I want to be alone. Also, it's good because we have two cats and when they get really playful it's not safe to have them around your dresses!

      Delete